Monday, July 7, 2008

Letters

Dear Jonathan...
I just finished reading another book, "The Letters of Jonathan Netanyahu." Jonathan or Yonatan (Yoni) was the commander of the Israeli force that freed that hostages at the Entebbe airport in July 1976. He was the only Israeli soldier killed during the operation. He began writing letters to his friends in Israel when he was 17 and his family moved to the States for his father's job. The last letter included in the book was written to his girlfriend a couple days before he flew to Uganda. It was a fascinating book both because of what he wrote about and the way in which he wrote. He is very close with his family and does not hesitate to express to them his love and respect for both his parents and his two younger brothers. There were several passages through out his letters that really spoke to me but only one that I will share today...

"Only rarely do I count the passing days in anticipation of some future event. When you do that, you lose the meaning of the moment - today, right now - and skip over weeks of your life longing for a day to come... which is a mistake, for there is always value to the present."

And this quote in turn reminded me of Matthew 6:33-34 "But seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

You are also a testimony to me of the importance of focusing on today. I don't want to miss out on the blessings of today by being so caught up in what is next. I don't want to take the places and people I see today for granted. I don't know how many tomorrows are out there so I am going to do my best to enjoy today to the fullest.

Thanks for continuing to challenge and encourage me.
Love you!

2 comments:

Junebug said...

well said, my friend.

Anonymous said...

Interesting to know.