Wednesday, February 28, 2007

What is friendship?

You asked me to think of a memory about Jonathan to write about. When I let myself really think about Jonathan, memories overflow. I have known Jonathan since we were both toddlers. I was friends with him for an entire decade. When I think about the friendship we had with each other, I think we had friendship in that occurred phases.So I guess my blog entries will be glimpses into those phases of our friendship.

When Kirsten left for the summer to be a counselor at girl scout camp, I was left with no best friend for 3 whole months. When I was missing someone important in my daily life, that's when Jonathan seemed to step in. I had never really had a guy friend before and he was so fun to be around. I remember going to hang out at Mazzios on Sunday nights, going to Golf World, shooting pool at Steven's house, and TCBY. He loved to set the alarm off on my convertible (I think for the sole purpose of watching me yell about it). He had that pager which I thought was so high tech that got stolen. In each other, we had finally found the friend who hated youth choir enough to skip out. TCBY was our escape destination. I wish I could remember those TCBY conversations. At youth camp, he was the one sitting next to me when a certain someone farted during the prayer at the Lord's Supper service. We laughed FOREVER!

It's strange the things that I do remember from that summer. I remember he told me that I had pretty eyes. It was just a compliment. There was nothing more to it. I was such an awkard ninth grader soon to be sophomore that had really never had a guy friend say anything nice about me and that made an impact. That was a big part of my friendship with Jonathan, when he was around he boosted my confidence. I know he did that for Matt. That's why Jonathan could convince you to be fearless and take a risk because he ingnited something within you that pushed you to do and be more. - Amy Ervin

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

Jonathan was always good about making you feel good about yourself. You knew if he didn't mean what he was saying then he would be making fun of you instead of complimenting you. I was several years older by the time I really got to know Jonathan, but I think he was also my first guy friend that would compliment me.