Thursday, February 14, 2008


JD,

Why is it that when we try to say the most important thing we just can't formulate the words? I feel like every time I think about you and know that there is something to be said, saying it just won't do it justice. I suppose not saying anything at all is worse...so I'm writing, just trying to get some of this stuff out. I know in real life you would probably be terribly uncomfortable about this conversation. Who knows if you hear this stuff? If you do, sorry for continuing to make fun of you over the last several years...not really...it makes me feel better about you always getting the best of me. Anyhow, I see you, think of you, and miss you every single day. I talk about you all the time to my students...you rocked my life like few people ever have. I'm a better man because of how God used you. I try to keep the thoughts about you surface level...I cry less that way. I went out and bought a roll of duct tape and new set of Sharpies in honor of you the other day. Oh yeah, there's this girl in the youth group that wears about 5 or 6 different colored detachable Sharpies on her carabineer...pretty sweet. Anyhow, most of my adventures just aren't the same without you here...seriously, why did you have to make our times so good that I'd never enjoy anything the same way again?! Of course I have had less bumps and bruises and other injuries since you've been gone...mainly because you're not here to inspire or convince me to do something I never would have by myself. So tonight I challenged our students to truly see the broken world we live in, to live honestly, and walk with those hurting. So we're celebrating Valentine's a different way...the way I think Jesus may have celebrated it. The message and picture are based off of that and the organization it promoted...you would've liked what they are about and the way they go about it I think (www.twloha.com). So here's to writing love and hope on my arms in a way that you helped do on my heart years ago.

Wes

1 comment:

Kirsten said...

I can really relate to the whole adventure thing. I miss going on adventures with him. And when I do go on adventures I am constanly thinking of him and how much he would enjoy it. Thanks for sharing, Wes!