Sunday, January 13, 2008

Meeting Kay Arthur

So I started a Kay Arthur Bible study this week. It is really cool because she is teaching through Matthew and all of her teachings were recorded when she was here in Israel - so I can totally visualize most of the places she is discussing. Anyway - starting this study reminds of that weekend when we were in high school and we went to a Kay Arthur retreat with the church. I don't remember everyone who went. I think Amy. And I know Ric White. I distinctly remember him because he spent the whole trip to Chattanooga teaching us those crazy mind games and pulling practical jokes on us. I specifically remember one really long story where most of us girls were crying about how he reminded some poor women in the mall of her dead son and then it was all a joke. At any rate - at the very first session with Kay, she asked us to all take out our Bibles. You were sitting on the front row. And I think this retreat must have been during Spring Break because Mom and Dad had given you a new Bible for you birthday. Although now that I think about it, it could have also been just after Christmas. OH well. Anyway - you were very very proud of that new Bible. So Kay starts teaching. And she asks us to open our Bibles to a specific passage - and then as she scans the crowd - she totally calls you out for playing with a computer game instead of opening your Bible. I think I remember you trying to protest but she kind of went off for a minute about bringing your Bible and how important this time was and that we weren't here to play games. That this was serious business. Eventually you were able to tell her that it was an ELECTRONIC BIBLE! And that you were paying attention. She was shocked. I remember everyone laughing about it. And how you sat on the front row every session - and every session she made some comment to you about your fancy shmancy Bible. :)

No comments: